Durag or Do-rag, which is also known as wave cap, has cultural and fashion significance. Durag is also one of the most important items for a waver to get 360-degree waves, while others wear it for style. It emerged as a fashion staple in the 90s. Initially, it was used to identify slaves but later in the 1930s, after the Harlem Renaissance, it got more respect, and later it emerged as a fashion statement. In 2014, Rihanna wore a durag for Vogue magazine, and today, it is adored as a fashion symbol.
If you, too, want to sport a durag but don’t know how to tie one, you would be glad to know that knotting a durag is very simple. This article discusses different ways to tie a durag.
What is a durag?
A durag, also known as a do-rag, is a piece of headgear used to keep your hair in place. They’re made of various materials, such as silk, satin, mesh, and you also can find even velvet durags. You can have a knot in the rear or front of the head. For decades, people of color have worn headpieces with a significant cultural value and for hair protection. From 1918 to the 1930s, the Harlem Renaissance witnessed a resurgence of African American music, art, fashion, and politics – and headgear was encouraged to retain identity. The durag’s origins may be traced back to Ethiopian kings in the nineteenth century. It also had a tumultuous past linked to slavery, albeit in the early twentieth century, it got a new significance.
Why do bikers wear doo rags?
Durags are a must for bikers as they are useful in many ways apart from giving one that stylish biker looks. Wearing helmets continuously gets uncomfortable as it may make the hair sweat, especially in summers. Wearing a durag under the helmet absorbs sweat and keeps the head cool. In winters, they keep a biker’s head warm. So, one can wear a durag in all seasons. It also protects skin and hair from harsh sun rays. Most importantly, they look very stylish on bikers. Bikers can go for doo rag cap head as they are convenient.
What are the benefits of wearing durags?
A durag is not just a fashion accessory, but it also has several benefits for your hair.
It helps in keeping your natural waves
Waves are not easy to maintain and need a lot of patience and brushing. A moisture wicking durag keeps the moisture of the hair intact, thus preventing frizz and dryness, and the way the fabric drapes across the surface encourages it to grow in the right direction.
Making a Fashion Statement
Some celebrities are often spotted wearing this headgear that has now become a popular culture sign. Do-rags can be worn by men with any outfit, but it goes better with casual wear. There are several doo-rag style options like you can get a doo rag skull cap, a bandana style doo-rag. Learn how to tie a durag in the back and enjoy your new look.
Keeps the hair clean
In addition to the benefits mentioned above, this headgear also protects the hair from dust and dirt, thus keeping it healthy. Since a durag stays close to the scalp, it prevents the dirt and grime from penetrating in and settle on the scalp, which can otherwise impact the texture of the hair. The bikers wear it under the helmet to keep their hairstyle in place. It is quite a reason to learn how to tie a biker doo rag.
Step-by-step guide on how to tie a durag
How to tie durag in front?
The front tie durag, known as the Slump God, is the newest in hip-hop fashion. Learn how to tie duraq right now.
– Make sure your durag is flat and level on your head.
– Take a side from a piece of fabric in each hand and form a cross with them behind your head.
– One string should be wrapped around your head and hooked behind the other ear.
– Bring the second string up to your ear, where it will meet the string behind your ear.
– Knot them together right over your ear, similar to how you’d tie your durag’s bag.
– Tie a knot at the rear of the back flap.
Side tie durag
This is the most common technique to wear a durag, and it’s simple to perfect once you’ve mastered it.
– The essential thing is to properly align the durag on your head for a neat look.
– The front borders should be aligned between your brows and hairline.
– Make sure the piece of clothing completely covers your hairline and is aligned with the middle of your head properly.
– Pull the double knots back with one hand on each side, ensuring that they are tied behind your ears rather than over them. At the rear, cross the ties over each other to prevent them from rolling up into themselves.
How to tie a durag with a bandana?
You can also use the same to make bandana skull cap. Because bandanas are available in a broad range of designs and colors, it’s simple to express your personal style and create a more powerful statement.
– Fold a bandana in half diagonally to make a triangle.
– Now keep the folded part of the bandana on your brow while holding the other two corners carefully.
– Now bring the two corners across each other while covering the third corner of the bandana coming back from the forehead.
– Finally, tie a knot using the two side corners.
Celebrities have reintroduced durags to the fashion scene in recent years. Rihanna donned a Swarovski crystal-encrusted durag in 2014, and then again at her VMAs performance two years later. Solange interpreted the durag as a celestial headgear at the 2018 Met Gala, declaring, My God wears a durag. The durag is no longer just a piece of protective headgear; it helps make a fashion statement. Now that you have learned how to tie a durag, why don’t you try wearing it?